Monday, February 2, 2009

Question: And what do YOU do?

Alert readers will remember my earlier mention/theory of a stress bubble. Well, here’s my question for you: what do you do when you’re utterly stressed out?

The basic options people generally come up with include sleeping, drinking, exercising, smoking, watching lots of reality TV, and eating.

Let’s parse these together, shall we?

Sleeping is nice work if you can get it, but most of us are sleep-deprived as it is, so more sleep is only going to slowly fill up our deficit, not give us the release we need from this icky recession. (I’m using the economically technical term).

Drinking has its down sides, too; if you overdo it, you feel bad, plus it makes you act stupid if you go too far. And it’s expensive. So scratch that.

Exercising is great if you live in California, but thanks to Puxiwhosit Phil we are getting six more weeks of winter. That means being stuck inside for most of us, and the lucky few who get good weather shouldn’t crow about it to those who are trapped in dry, hot, germy gyms and living rooms sweatin’ to the oldies and cursin’ under their breath.

Smoking is pretty passé. Frankly it’s expensive, socially awkward in most places, and ultimately makes you smell nasty. I’m not saying I’m not tempted, nor that I never succumb. But it’s not sustainable for the duration of this recession, which is predicted to go on and on and on…

Watching reality TV will actually depress you more. It’s only a matter of time before there are recession reality shows, with people in desperate situations trying desperately to get out of them with fifteen minutes of fame or some parting gifts. I wish I was kidding.

Finally, eating. What other option is there? Food as comfort is universal. Tomorrow I am going with my friend to a swanky cupcake store, yes, a cupcake STORE. And I feel that I cannot turn away from the cupcake in these times of stress. Sure, I’ve been eating too much with the stress of these days; and my husband being a great cook is helping me along with my muffin top nicely. So really, I should go and exercise tomorrow.

But I will not. I will eat cupcakes.

Because nobody can resist the cupcake in times of trouble. Seek the cupcake, and, at least for a few minutes, life will be beautiful and stress-free.

1 comment:

  1. Or, as Seinfeld said, "Look to the cookie!" (Sweet AND politically correct.)

    ReplyDelete