Saturday, February 21, 2009

Comment: Eat this book.

So I see that Brad Warner has another book out; this time it’s about divorce, sex, death and chocolate (I’m paraphrasing.) I didn’t know he had a new one, and I’m wondering if the divorce is his.

I wonder because I love his stuff and his style and it kind of bums me out to think that someone as theoretically grounded and together as he seems to be is getting a divorce. It’s depressing, frankly.

So maybe I should read the book.

Aha, you say, what a ploy! She wants to read the book to find out the state of a hardcore Zen practitioner’s marriage!

Well, it’s true.

If you haven’t read any of his other books, they are “Hardcore Zen” and “Sit Down and Shut Up.” He is sort of the anti-Zen Zen guy. He’s a former punk rocker who works on Japanese monster movies and practices Buddhism with a fervor that impresses. And he talks about Buddhism in a truly accessible way. I love his writing. It’s very much like punk rock music, blunt and no-bullshit. What’s not to love?

So dammit, now I’m going to have to go and get his book, which, for the record, is called “Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate: A Trip Through Death, Sex, Divorce, and Spiritual Celebrity in Search of the True Dharma”. I can’t wait on this, he might have some insights into life that I don’t know yet. And I’m so stressed, I’m looking for any written word that can at least theoretically save me from my anxious thoughts. So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment