Friday, October 29, 2010

Question: Did I Just Lose Major Points?

I know I'm not going to get Mother of the Year this time around, but I'm having nagging doubts nonetheless.

Currently, I am a stay-at-home parent who is gradually ramping up part-time work.

Did I have to work today? No.

Was the Halloween costume parade extravaganza at my kids' school today? Yes.

Did I go? No.

I got my hair done. And went grocery shopping. And cleaned the house after a four-day absence which had left it in significant disarray.

Should I have gone?

That's up to me, right? Right?

It just stung a little when my five-year-old said, "I wish you were there, Mom."

I know the kids had a great time, and I'm going to be with them at Halloween. But I feel a teeny tiny bit of guilt that I didn't go, since I could have gone. Are you following this perverse logic?

So do I suck because I didn't seize the opportunity?

No.

But the kids are growing up so fast, and there won't be that many more Halloweens where they will WANT me to be around.

And that stings worst of all.

3 comments:

  1. All that's investment in having a Happy Mommy when they DO come home from school.

    How many times in 10 days are you going to see them in costume parade/groups? More than one, I'm sure.

    Keep taking care of yourself so you're ready to take care of them when they're home!

    ReplyDelete