Thursday, October 28, 2010

Comment: Someone Worth Celebrating

Forgive the temporary silence; it was caused by neither seasonal nor hormonal change. (A first?)

I was in Canada watching my Mum win a prestigious award. My sister and I convened and flew together to see her. We cleaned up real nice and behaved ourselves (mostly) and watched her get the accolades she has long deserved.

My mom is my role model; she works in community development with people who almost instantly fall in love with her and allow her into their worlds. She is truly gifted in her ability to listen to someone's story, then write it in a way that others not from their world can understand. She has become a guru in her field. She is outstanding.

So we watched with great pride as she was feted, along with nine other good eggs, none of whom impressed me as much as my mother.

Helping people is so under-appreciated; it was a joy to see someone who truly champions the underdog get public recognition.

I could go on and on. But I think you get the point.

Yay, Mum! (Go Thew!)

I am proud to be her daughter.

1 comment: