Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Comment: Being the Buffalo

Okay, so my dear friend Christy commented on yesterday's post with the following link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/19/o.smartest.advice/index.html#fbid=xAM0OOIWTE_

In it, you hear about exactly what I was trying to express yesterday: plowing through challenges. Apparently, according to Wilma Mankiller of the Cherokee nation, cows run AWAY from storms, which makes their suffering significant, and their eventual and heavy soaking inevitable.

Buffalo, on the other hand, charge right into the storm, and come out of it much quicker. I'm not saying they come out dry, I mean, come on, but they get through the shit faster and easier.

My co-teacher and I were working with our students on metaphors today, so I trotted out (sorry!) the BE THE BUFFALO maxim as an example. I'm not sure how much the kids really got it, but they liked the image.

And so do I.

1 comment:

  1. you go girl!

    glad i could provide a pointer to some momentary inspiration.

    here's another one i saw/heard a few days ago:

    "motivation doesn't last, but neither does bathing. that's why we recommend it daily" -zig ziglar

    looks like you're doing a great job of seeking out your daily doses of motivation!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete