Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Comment: Aloha, Facebook!

Here we go again: I just deactivated my Facebook account.

And not without a price. A small handful of my favorite friends from long ago and far away are on there, and now I won't be able to chat with them instantaneously. We will just have to settle for email. Because, natch, I know their email addresses. Because I am consistently keeping in touch with them. Because I like them. A lot.

But I had to leave.

I was getting life envy again. I hate that. I was looking at all the fun people I barely know or knew a long time ago but lost touch with and I was thinking, damn, I'm not going out for drinks with the girls; I'm not lying on the beach in Aruba; I'm not interested in showing off my kids to everyone on the interweb, what's wrong with me and my insignificant life?

I just like the Chat feature. That's all I like. The rest, quite frankly, annoys me. And more so than usual.

Because I've been feeling that one year lull, which is what happens after you've moved to a new place and have busted your hump for a year making friends, getting work, settling in, getting a place to live and making yourself at home in it, and so on, lather, rinse, repeat three times in the past three years. I'm right tuckered out. And thus it's so easy to hide on Facebook where I don't really live my life, I watch other people's quips and feel lonesome. It's easy to sit in the dark in front of a computer. I should be interacting with people, not avatars.

So in this lull, I don't think it's the best choice to spend too much time online when I should be living my life offline with actual people live and in person. There are some very cool people I am just getting to know here, and I want to hang out with them, not hang out online lusting after other people's lives.

That just seems like a distorted way to live. So, for me, Facebook is not a pleasure. If it were, I'd be on it. Many people love it. Fair play to them.

But I'm more interested right now in reality, sans virtual anything.

Email me or comment here if you want to talk. You know who you are.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I'm getting back to CA on Thursday, and will contact you shortly after. I do not have your email address with me, but just know I am thinking of you!!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete