Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Comment: Home Again Home Again

I’m so used to being in constant motion that a vacation this past week threw me for (wonderful) loop. Suddenly, for the first time in a couple of years, I went somewhere with my family where we were NOT staying directly with family and we were away for over five days. This meant that I was thrown totally out of my routine, and oh what a relief it was.

I loved not having to meal plan, cook or clean. That is my definition of a vacation. I didn’t even have to do the laundry—my sister in law did it, and she did a far sight better of a job than I do at home. She has all these different concoctions and potions that she collects from far and wide and uses for her laundry. She bleached out my husband’s (inadvertently/accidentally) pink underwear. She PRESSED our clothes. Our iron hasn’t seen the light of day in quite some time. Wow.

So it was nice to be taken care of, for sure. But I also noticed that after being away for five days, coming home and getting back into the cleaning routine wasn’t so bad. There really is something meditative about cleaning, and boy did I have my work cut out for me after this trip.

We have Christmas goodies to sort and find places for, piles of dirty laundry to sort, wash, fold and put away, and a refrigerator to replenish. So today I spent a good part of the day on the domestic front, and honey, my house looks fabulous as I sit here and gaze on the Christmas tree for one of the last times this year.

Another thing about vacations is the break from your habitual surroundings; you can go somewhere else for awhile and when you come back, you see things with fresh eyes. Many epiphanies were had. More info to follow, though I probably won’t post tomorrow since it’s New Year’s Eve. Look for some new year’s thoughts soon thereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment