Saturday, December 20, 2008

Comment Starlight, starbright, make everything all right.

So you know you aren’t feeling really depressed if early Madonna songs make you happy. I’d been cleaning my kitchen in my evening ritual and tonight I put on her first (and arguably, best) album. Of course it’s not an album. It’s from iTunes, and I’m old, but shut up a minute and listen.

There’s something delightful and wistful about playing music you loved when you were younger. I know, I know, I’ve already talked about this on here, what with my Pandora/The Cure fixation and all. Again, hush a second and wait.

I’d just like to walk you through this first album of hers. Long before she was ropy, twice -divorced, a kick-ass performer but also a little bit scary, she was Early Madonna.

She didn’t have vocal chops that were quite as polished, but they were more distinctive. Her songs were about longing and sex, (hey, kind of like ALL music) and were all dressed up in 80s electronica. She wasn’t terrifyingly fit, she even had a teeny little belly, bless her, back then. And her videos consisted of her gyrating and dancing in front of the camera. The camera adored her, and so did we.

How else can you explain thousands, nay, millions of young women cutting up their shirts, donning fluorescent lace hairbands, black rubber bracelets and rhinestone earrings, and actually going out in public this way?

Here’s the layout on the album: First up is “Lucky Star”—I think this was actually her first release from the album, and it was awesome. Not lyrically brilliant, but we liked it. In the video, she danced with two backup singers and a blank background. It was compelling in its stark simplicity. Every 17 year old could relate this song to that hot-guy-you-only-ever-see-in-the-cafeteria-who-is-he-ohmigod-I’m-in-love.

Then comes “Borderline”; I don’t remember this video as well but my instincts tell me that it probably showed in dramatic detail the story of her and some awful boyfriend messing with her head. It was a great song that every 17 year old could relate to, right down to the cutesey little organ intro that was so girly and wistful. Cue electonic drums, start singing about how insane this guy is making you feel, and, voila, a break up anthem is born.

“Burning Up”, my personal favorite, (even after all these years), is just a horndog song about a guy who rejects you but you’re so hot for him you can’t see straight. It just sucks but you’re kind of psycho about it and possibly leave him notes on his dry erase board in his dorm room, and possibly brought him a flower (in your teeth). The video is more classic Early Madonna writhing, which is as compelling as ever. Seriously.

“I Know It” is the ultimate post-break up song. It follows that this song should come next after the lusty irrationality of “Burning Up”. It’s your best girlfriend telling you that all guys are assholes and you didn’t need him and fuck that noise, etc. I had a wonderful roommate who made me play this song over and over after a devastating (at the time) whirlwind romance with an upperclassman who kissed really well but was a complete shit.

“Holiday” was another big hit for Madonna, and why wouldn’t it be? It may have been the first release, come to think of it. It was happy, it was party, what was not to love about it? I remember seeing her perform this at LiveAid with some back-up dancers and I just thought she was the coolest.

“Think of Me” is the classic, “Honey, this is a relationship, it takes two, hello!” song that reminds a 17 year old that she is worth more than just a late night drunk dial from her so-called boyfriend when they were supposed to have a date that night.

“Physical Attraction” is another lust-filled extravaganza, complete with the classic 80s-talk-huskily-through-the-bridge segments. She knows she wants him, but doesn’t know if he wants her. What is he gonna do?

“Everybody”, like “Holiday”, was just another great dance song. Kind of annoying with all the “I know you wanna get up, yeah, I been watching you, yeahs” but it worked at the time.

My Itunes version contains two extended play versions: one of “Burning Up” and “Lucky Star”. They’re just so much fluff, as that woman on Seinfeld says, but they last longer, so when I’m jogging around the track, I can do at least half a mile in the time it takes to play "Burning Up". And on a good day I can run more than three quarters of a mile with that epic version of “Lucky Star”.

I hope this little retrospective has made your day/evening/week.

Ooh yeah. Ooh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment