Thursday, December 18, 2008

Comment: I love my mom.

My mother has been visiting for ten days and it’s just been downright dreamy. She is leaving early tomorrow morning and I hate goodbyes, especially when they’re for months at a time. Living far from family takes on a whole new dimension when you have a little family of your own. Suddenly being across the continent from Nana and Grandpa is sub-optimal.

Because when your parent(s) visit you, they’re not just visiting with you anymore; they are visiting your kids. And that is truly joyous. Watching a grandparent adore a child is something nobody warns you about before you have kids. There’s nothing as pure as the love a grandparent pours all over their grandchildren. It’s beauteous to see.

So I’m feeling ultra sad right now, because I already miss my mom and she hasn’t even left yet. We had so much fun, and now it’s time for her to go. I’ll be sad, the kids will be sad. Tomorrow will be a day that we really really miss Nana, and there will be tears.

But I do know this: I will consider my life a success if my grown kids feel about me the way I now feel about my mother.

That’s my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment