Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Comment: Who is "real"?

I’m not an American, but I play one on TV.

Actually I am an American.

No really, I mean, I have a passport, and one for Canada too, (thank-you-very-much-dual-citizenship-rocks!) but according to the Republicans, I’m not American.

Rep. Robin Hayes basically said that anyone who wasn’t dry-humping* the Republican party was not American.

Here’s the quote: "Liberals hate real Americans that work and achieve and believe in God."

WTF?

Is this for real? Who is swallowing this? Apart from the grammatical error that offends the English teacher in me, it just doesn’t make any sense.

First, liberals. That phrase just covers so many people that it seems to exist merely as an epithet for anyone who doesn’t think exactly like the Republicans. Of course the implication here is that liberals aren’t even real Americans, and may not even be human. Perhaps they’re some sub-species. But gosh do they recycle and drive nice little Priuses!

Pulling God into the whole thing is irrelevant. Whatever I or you or they believe, that has nothing to do with anything regarding government. Didn’t the founding fathers kind of make a point of that way back when? I’m just sayin’. But of course maybe they told us something different in Canada so we wouldn’t feel bad. Or good. Or something.

This sentence also implies that there are no “liberals” who believe in God. So why didn’t they just say atheists? What are they really trying to say? It’s not that hard to figure out.

It’s scary.

And Hayes isn’t even the only one. Palin made some creepy remarks about Obama “not seeing American like you and I do.” Again, WTF?

And what about Nancy Pfotenhauer’s whole “real Virginia” thing? Here’s the quote:
"As a proud resident of Oakton, Virginia, I can tell you that the Democrats have just come in from the District of Columbia and moved into northern Virginia…But the rest of the state, 'real Virginia,' if you will, I think will be very responsive to Senator McCain’s message."

This is getting out of hand.

We must not tolerate intolerance.




* Of course there's no real sex. Chastity First! No, sorry, Country First. Chastity Second? But that puts Family Values third? That can’t be right....

No comments:

Post a Comment