Sunday, October 19, 2008

Comment: Weekend Update

So we did indeed walk at the walk-a-thon.

In fact, we rocked the walk-a-thon.

I didn’t think my kids would walk more than a few laps, but my son walked three miles, and my three-year-old walked two miles! They certainly earned their sugartastic cupcakes when they were done.

Okay, I confess…it was actually…fun.

I didn’t feel like I had to be a cheerleader or rah rah team player or anything I’m not. We just walked around and around with other kids and their parents and enjoyed the sunshine and the camaraderie.

My greatest joy was watching my son walking with his “buddy” from second grade. Every kindergartner is assigned a buddy and his is a lovely girl who hugs him when she sees him, helps him when he needs it, and actually walked around the track multiple times with him. Then he teamed up with a friend from his class and they stuck together like glue for the rest of the time.

Sure, some kids did five, even ten miles, and some kids and their parents were clad head to toe in their matching t-shirts, but we had fun. And in today’s age of virtual overtaking actual community, it was nice to actually be around people doing stuff.

Oh and I did get each kid a t-shirt, even though my son didn’t want to wear his. Doh.

No comments:

Post a Comment