Thursday, July 23, 2009

Comment: Dance Fever

Okay, Mia Michaels is not so bad after all. There was this incredible performancce on So You Think You Can Dance last night (choreographed by Tyce Diorio), about a woman with breast cancer. Ade and the ballerina everyone says is old because she’s (gasp) 29, did the dance and by its end there wasn’t a dry eye in the house, Ms. Michaels included. What other show on television unites people like SYTYCD?

I love SYTYCD. I know I’ve already said it here before, but dang, is there any other reality/competitive show on TV that is actually about pure talent, where so many people cry while trying to express themselves but not as a result of surgery/adultery/extra or insufficient weight/love problems, etc.? I know, I know, what about American Idol and America’s Got Talent?

They’re not as pure as a show about dance and only dance. Turning good-looking young people who can sing into superstars is no big deal. Turning choreographers in rock stars? That’s impressive.

I just love this show and I echo the producer/head judge Nigel Lythgoe (that’s Dr. Lythgoe, thank you very much) when he says, “I never in my wildest dreams thought it would get this big.”

My dancing is strictly of the Elaine Benes category: best left to the privacy of my living room.

But watching true artists dance? Sublime.

Now excuse me, but there’s another episode on tonight and I’m emotionally invested, plus they’re going to do lots of clips from old shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment