Friday, January 14, 2011

Question: Why the Rage?

What is it about some music that makes you want to break things, or at the minimum, hurl them across the room?

The song that makes me feel that way is "We Built This City (on Rock n' Roll)" by some iteration of the band formerly known as Jefferson Airplane. The sting in this song is that the band used to be cool: "Go Ask Alice" is awesome (and so is the book). But there is something jarring and highly irritating about WBTC, and I can not, nay, WILL NOT, listen to it.

The other song that puts me on edge is the "Kokomo" song by The Beach Boys. Pretty much anything by The Beach Boys works my nerves, but the aforementioned makes me feel like breaking beer bottles. Why do I hate it so much? Nothing traumatic happened to me during the playing of either of these songs. I don't get it.

Do you have songs that make you mental? If so, what are they? Why do you suppose we have these visceral reactions to songs?

3 comments:

  1. "All I Want to Do (Is Have Some Fun)" by Sheryl Crow. Which is odd because, if you think about it, that could sort of be a Solipsistic anthem.

    We're not huge Beach Boys fans, but "Sloop John B" is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on the Sheryl Crow. Today I heard "Every Day is a Winding Road", which I find just as annoying as "All I Wanna Do". Also, she has some lame songabout singing or playing in the sun. They all sound the sameand they're all annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. christmas carol remixes make me want to kill myself.

    ReplyDelete