Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Comment: Snow Day

The dulcet sounds of children shrieking their lungs out on mounds of snow outside. The plaintive "I'm boooooored"s of the children refusing to go outside. The ever-backward-moving clock.

Can't beat the snow days.

As a kid, it's a dream come true. As a newly-working parent? Yes and no.

The up side? I got to totally sleep in. BONUS.

The down side? My work gig got canceled, and now I have to try to find a place to cram it into an already-packed schedule.

Also, would I have to go OUTSIDE in the mild storm and sled, or watch while the kids sledded?

I'm sorry to say but I'm really not into that. Since they grew up in California, it's all still a novelty for them. Having grown up in Canada and spent years toboganning with cold and wet feet in smothering snowsuits, I can honestly say that I've had enough of snow, winter, and all that it entails. (I believe I've made that point here previously, and probably, more eloquently.)

Actually, our day has been going great. My daughter spent three hours at a friend's house, while my son and I got some quality time together writing and deciphering coded messages.

Then the friend came over here and all three kids had a very civilized tea party in the living room. Their pinkies were in the raised position, natch.

Meanwhile, I cleaned off the top of my dresser as well as my make-up drawer and a section of one of the more frightening hall closets in the house.

Not too shabby. Who knew a snow day could be so productive?

And I didn't even have to go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment