Monday, January 24, 2011

Comment: Persistence in the Face of Challenges

The work I have chosen to do can be fraught with paperwork, scheduling nightmares, red tape, irritating grown-ups with bad manners, hoops to jump through, and cancellations.

And yet I persist. Many of us persist.

Why?

I asked my mother this today. She is in the hospital minus one appendix, and sounding as fabulous as ever. (Did I mention she's my role model? Hi Mum!)

She said that no matter what, we just have to keep doing, if we believe in what we are doing. (I'm paraphrasing.)

This has always been her mantra and it has brought her enormous personal satisfaction as well as external kudos/recognition to boot.

So when I feel like what I am doing is disappearing into a black hole of disorganized programming, paperwork and logistics, I must remember:

The look on Dominic's face when I remembered his name (even though he didn't have his nametag on); the enthusiasm with which Riley answered my questions about dancing and tutus; the serious getting jiggy with it dancing that Jordan exhibited upon our first meeting; the way the children greet me like a returning rock star, ready for our next adventure together.

Those darn kids.

THEY are why I do it. THEY are why I care. THEY are all that matter.

2 comments: