Saturday, June 28, 2014

TMI

It's weird having two blogs, because I have no idea who, if any, are reading both. This one's been dormant for over three years, and my Aspiring Buddhist one has been going a good six months.

I find myself doing two takes on the same topic. Today in my Aspiring Buddhist blog, I wrote about the experience we had last week when my son and I went to get his cast taken off. And the nurse/PA/cast cutter asked if he was named after the prophet from the Bible. We said yes, and then my son quickly chimed in cheerfully, "But we're not Christians. We're secular humanists."

The cast cutting lady wasn't familiar with the term and I felt squirmy because saying you're not Christian in this predominantly Christian country is a little edgy, a little bit radical. It lumps you in with atheists and other perceived haters. It's kind of a bad word, like "liberal". So I tried to fumble an explanation about freedom of religion and doing unto others and letting them believe whatever they want as long as they don't hurt anybody. I didn't even get into my Buddhist leanings. I think that may have blown Mrs. Cast Cutter out of the room.

I love how confident my son is about our family's predelictions in the spiritual world, but I hope he doesn't confront someone who says something cruel and hurtful to him when he lays his heart on his sleeve.  I actually worry about my kids being ostracized due to their lack of religion, in a way.

That's kind of sad and scary. If only we could all just be Buddhists, we'd be fine. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment