Friday, September 26, 2008

Comment: I think I may be a vampire

No, not the blood-sucking kind. But it is related strongly to the color red.

I had this revelation (of sorts) today as I pushed my croup-y child in the double jog stroller.

Neither she nor I feel great; it was a rough, coughing night for us and her dad. When my son heard her barking cough this morning, he said, “So THAT’S what I heard last night.” He probably thought he was dreaming about a trip to Sea World.

Anyway, the baby and I went for a walk, to get out of the house. We went to Target, because all roads lead to Target. I picked up some tights for her, some underwear for the boy, and some Coke Zero for me, because I have addiction issues.

But I noticed that after I left, I felt better.

Sure, you’ve all heard of retail therapy.

But I mean I felt physically better, less ill, more energized. Healthier.

And I believe it’s because if I don’t get into a Target at least once a week for one reason or another (and there’s always a reason, trust me) I get, for lack of better word, depleted.

One might even say thirsty.

And when my Target thirst needs to be quenched, I have to drag my listless sorry ass over there to get in infusion of my beloved red logo.

You may think to yourself, this chick has read way too much teen vampire fiction. And you’d be right. But honestly, the metaphor works for me. I mean, no, my eyes don't change color like Edward Cullen's, but I do get a twitchy, lonesome, kind of yearning, if you will, for the red bullseye.

The whole vampire thing is about addiction, feeding a habit. And we all have some habits that run our lives. So I guess we’re all vampires in one form or another. Or maybe this comparison is just ridiculously obvious and only seemed like a revelation because I was an under-caffeinated, slightly mucous-filled, sleep deprived mama walking in the stinking hot sun hoping her child would nap. Maybe it's not the epiphany it felt like at the time.

But I like saying it.

I am a Target vampire.

No comments:

Post a Comment