Monday, July 4, 2011

Comment: Baby, you are NOT a firework, nor are you anything like a plastic bag.

I feel as though I should write something about it being the fourth of July. (Am I supposed to capitalize the f?) But I didn't write anything on Canada Day (July 1), and I swing both ways in terms of nationality, so technically I don't have to write anything about this country today.

I feel wierd about celebrating this holiday since I didn't grow up doing it. Yet I've been in the States for almost 20 years, so it's only a matter of time before I'm in the US longer than I was in Canada. Does that make me less Canadian? No way, eh! Does that make me more American? Maybe. Sorta. I don't know.

Frankly, part of why I'm writing about this at all is so my good friend and fellow blogger, The Solipsist, will respond in some smart-assed, New Yorker acerbic, way.

Have at it, Sol! Happy Fourth!

1 comment:

  1. We don't really "celebrate" the 4th either--other than sacrificing a day at work. Why is it, though, that "Canada" Day comes before the more important Independence Day? And what is it that Canadians are celebrating anyway? Do they not realize they're in Canada? Anyway, our blog post today will be thoroughly non-4th-related.

    ReplyDelete