Saturday, February 13, 2010

Defining the Parameters

Last night, I finished Bluebird by Ariel Gore, and am very very close on The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

Gore's book finishes in an optimistic, lovely way. She basically says, do your own thing, don't let others define happiness for you, and don't try to stick yourself in too small a box. It was very satisfying to read, and her last paragraphs are a particularly passionate call to action.

Rubin continues to emphasize that by doing little things, happiness increases. And if you say you're not happy, then you aren't.

She's really into this, and I think she's on to something. I believe this gets mentioned in Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar as well. All three authors seem to say, if you walk around thinking you're unhappy, then you will be. And if you decide to notice when you're happy, you'll be happier.

Of course I am blending these three books in a massive happiness mash-up in my brain, so I may be attributing things inaccurately.

But I'm happy, so screw it!

Actually, I was very happy today when I ran about eight miles. I hadn't gone running for a week, and it was arduous at first, and then fabulous. In one of the books there is mention that one should stop doing something enjoyable for awhile in order for it to be that much more satisfying when you do take it up again. Makes sense.

I have to say, though, that I'm not sure talking strictly about happiness is going to make me, or you, that happy. It's fun to rant and rave and blogs are custom-made for ranting.

I'm not sure I want to do my gratitude journal online. It may induce nausea or vomiting to those reading it.

Can you be happy and still keep your edge? That's the big question in all of this.

Does happiness imply a smooth surface, or can you be happy and still have jagged edges?

Discuss.

2 comments:

  1. Short answer: Yes. Especially when the jagged edges MAKE you happy. We are seldom as happy as when we toss off a particularly sardonic bit of wit. Of course, this implies that we derive happiness from making other people sad. . . .There's a word for that. Ah, yes: Sadism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think happiness implies a smooth core/center. Then you can ride through the jagged surfaces and navigate the rough waters.

    Happiness with an edge! Yes!

    ReplyDelete